Pickens County Probate Court is dedicated to providing personal service to the citizens of Pickens County with compassion and professionalism. Further, we will continue to prepare and safeguard complete and accurate records so that such records can be properly accessed in the future.
Probate Court includes:
- All matters related to a decedent’s estate
- The protection of minors and incapacitated persons via guardianship or conservatorship proceedings
- Matters related to trusts
- The issuance of marriage licenses and the performance of marriage ceremonies
- Involuntary commitment proceedings
- Wrongful death and survival actions
- Both parties must appear together to apply for a marriage license
- Both applicants must present identification
- Both applicants must present ORIGINAL Social Security Cards showing his or her name and social security number. This name must match the applicant’s identification.
- $40.00 CASH or money order (Checks are not accepted)
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old
- If under 18, a certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate must be left with the Probate Court permanently
- If under 18, consent from a parent must be provided (consenting parent must appear at the Probate Court with proper identification to prove his or her relationship to the minor applicant)
Once the marriage license has been issued, the marriage ceremony must be performed in the State of South Carolina.
The Pickens County Probate Judge performs marriage ceremonies by appointment for a $25.00 cash fee.
- You must call for an appointment.
There is a twenty-four (24) hour waiting period in South Carolina from the time you apply for the marriage license until the time the license can be issued. After the waiting period has expired one of the contracting parties must return to pick up the license.
Pickens County Administration Facility
222 McDaniel Avenue, B-16
Pickens, SC 29671
Phone: (864) 898-5903
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM